Health Safety & Environment
The safety and health of employees, partners, service providers and the public and the minimization of impact on the natural environment are a priority at Abir. Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) are key focus areas, and integrated into our business operations at every level and vertical, especially since we operate in remote locations across the country.
The key objective of Abir's HSE program is to empower teams to attain a healthy and safe work place with emphasis on safety and environmental protection. These beliefs find practical implementation through:
- Employee involvement and ownership
- Effective employee training
- Leadership commitment and employee engagement
- Integrated Management Systems (ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001)
Our health and safety strategy is a work in progress, being constantly updated and fine-tuned to sensitize the employees and contractors, to the imperative need for continuous implementation of risk management practices, behavior, safety audits, reporting of incidents and near misses, and identification and prevention of risk behavior at work.
Occupational health at ABIR has a strong focus on primary prevention of hazards, and is directed towards protecting the health of its employees and contractors working within its facilities. Prevention and corrective health is promoted through programs and initiatives compliment within regulatory requirements. Each facility has a dedicated Occupational Health Centre (OHC) aimed to:
- Ensure that the health of the employees and contractors remains sound.
- Expand the healthcare services to community around as required.
- Ensure guaranteed focus on Preventive Measures in occupational health.
- Monitor health status to determine and advise concerned for adopting preventive measures.
- Mandating Pre-employment check-up for new employees, periodic medical examination etc.
At Abir, safety of its employees and contractors at work sites, projects and offices is of fundamental importance and integral to its business activities. The organization has adopted global standards and systems to provide a safe work environment. Abir has incorporated best-in-class safety systems to focus on:
Compliance with applicable safety legislative requirements.
- Hazard identification and risk assessment of its activities from inception to operation.
- Identification and incorporation of indispensable safety measures at the design stage of the projects.
- Development and implementations of effective, preventive systems such as work permits, emergency management plan, incidents reporting systems, incident investigation and root cause analysis.
- Implementation of an effective fire fighting system comprising alarms, manual call points, sprinkler systems, a pressurized fire hydrant system, fire tenders and a well-trained human resources to handle emergencies.
- Implementation of 'on site emergency' plan with stringent emphasis on training of employees and mock drills which can be fine-tuned to meet the needs of specific site operations.
- Adoption of a methodology to handle safety such as Hazard and Operability (HAZOP) and Hazard Identification (HAZID) studies, hazardous area classification, development of safety data sheets and standard operating procedures, selection of safe material of construction, etc.
- Delivery of regular, safety training to both employees and contractors
Abir's approach towards safety management is based on comprehensive Improvement and capability development to build safety awareness, a safe work environment and methodical documentation.
Abir believes that it has a social responsibility to alleviate the impact of its business on the environment and local communities. The organization, therefore, places great significance on using naturally available resources efficiently, responsibly and safely, and undertaking protection of the environment through conservation and reuse of resources. Continuous improvement of its business processes is sought to recycle and reuse waste and waste water streams, and reduce specific energy expenditure.
The Environmental Management System encompasses:
Abir continuously endeavors to implement waste minimization through systematic 'reducing waste at source' measures such as:
- Encouragement of reuse, recycling and recovery
- Prevention and reduction of waste generation
- Efficient use of raw materials and packaging materials
Abir is committed to make all its buildings green by using processes that are environmentally responsible and resource-efficient. It promoted the following features in its buildings:
- Usage of low volatile organic compounds (VOC) materials
- Resource conservation
- Effective day light utilization
- Water use efficiency
- Low waste generation
- Energy efficiency
- Enhanced fresh are ventilation
The emphasis is on reducing the organization’s carbon footprint, and creating sustainable structures.